This session will explore the ways in which the cable/pay-TV and the consumer electronics/connected-TV industries are cultivating developer communities for their platforms. Panelists will discuss the challenges entailed in building, educating and inspiring third-party developer communities, and the practices that have worked best for overcoming those challenges. Meanwhile, representatives of companies that have developed apps for cable and for CE platforms will explain what they need from developer programs, and provide feedback on how successfully those programs have responded to their needs to date. Panelists will also explore the future of developer programs, in light of such "convergence"-related developments as cable's embrace of the iPad and connected TV, the possible opening up of the cable API, the eventual move of cable to IP, etc.
- Gerard Johnson (Principal, Media and Entertainment, HCL)
- Will Kreth (Senior Director of Advanced Video Strategy, Time Warner Cable/Founder of OEDN, moderator)
- Eric Miller (CEO, Flashlight Engineering)
- Juan Pablo Gnecco (CEO, MOVL)
- Sam Pemberton (CEO, Softel)
- Greg Thomson (VP of Advanced Product Development, Comcast)